Monday, January 7, 2008

Poker in the Bahamas

I played the PCA in Paradise Island yesterday getting knocked out about 10 minutes before the end of the day. It was an interesting day even though I wasn’t involved in that many interesting hands.


I missed the first hand and then we proceeded to play about 20 hands where we didn’t see a flop. No one said one word while we were there. I immediately knew that it was going to be a long day. And then Greg Raymer showed up and say to my immediate right. The first pot went multiway and he started chatting it up with everyone. The entire mood became a lot different.
As many of you know, I played with Greg a lot during the 2004 WSOP when he won. We played together on two separate days and were involved in quite a few pots together. He intimidated me back then as he was quite aggressive, stared at you mercifully, and has a strong confidence at the table. I think he is really the only player that has intimidatd me. But I have a lot more experience now and know how to handle those types of players. And fortunately I was to his left which helps. Both of our games have changed quite a lot though since then.


I got the best of Greg this day but only for a few small pots. Only one was interesting. It was folded to his small blind several times. On one, he limped, I raised, and won the pot on the flop. In this case, he raised about 3x the big blind and I called with K-Js. I’m not sure, but I think the blinds were 300-600 with 50 antes. The flop was Kxx, rainbow. He bet about 2700 and I called. The turn was a Q and he checked. At this point, I felt like if I bet he would fold unless he had a queen. I elected to check hoping to gain some value on the river. The river was a blank and he bet a rather small amount. I considered raising but felt like I probably would only be called with a better hand so I just called. He turned over K-J. Ok, maybe not so interesting but I could have raised or bet every single street but elected not to. I’m pretty sure he thought I had some type of middle pair the way I played the hand.


I hit one set and one two pair all day. No straights or flushes. I don’t think I got my fair share of pairs or suited connectors. I got dealt once, AK, AA, QQ, and JJ - AK is definitely lower than average for a full day of poker. For the first 4-5 hours, my stacked varied between 17K and 22K I just didn’t hit very many hands so it was just about winning small pots to stay alive. I eventually got up to 38K at one point - again just by creating some opportunities. Then I lost two draws to knock me out.


The first was quite borderline. I think it was 400-800 blinds. Early raiser to 2200 and a middle player called who was someone I was targeting. He started the hand with about 20K in chips. I had 76 on the button and elected to call. This was a borderline decision, but with position, I thought there was decent chance I could take the pot on the flop if they showed weakness, and this is the kind of hand that can sometimes surprise people. But I recognized it can also get you in trouble.


The flop was T84, two spades. Early checked and middle player bet 4500. He had about 13K left. I could call hoping to hit but that only gives me one card. I wasn’t quite getting the odds on my draw, but I gave a 10% chance that my raise would cause him to fold, and a 10% chance that he was on a flush draw - where I would still have 10 outs. It was very borderline but I decided to gamble. He had a set and I didn’t hit.


So now I am down to about 17-18K in chips. 500-1000 blinds. Early raise to 2600, middle call, and I have K3s in big blind. 1600 to call with 7700 in the pot. If I hit a K and lose, I can accept that given the size of my stack. I call. T9x, two diamonds giving me the flush draw with an overcard. I check, early player bets 4500 and I go all-in. He calls with top set and I bust out.
It was a fun day. Nothing exciting but fun to get back in the saddle again. I just wish I had another tourney soon as I’m not sure when I’ll be playing again.

So time for some sun and fun. Rizen is a chip leader so go Rizen!

3 comments:

Free Poker Money said...

Omaha Hi-Lo
This type of Omaha giocopiĆ¹ requires a strategic and divide the pot between the highest hand and the lowest of all hands in play.

7 Cards Stud
Less popular Hold'Em and Omaha, 7 Cards Stud Poker is a game that brings together the preferences of a large number of "traditionalists". The hands of 7 Cards Stud begins with the distribution of cards (two face down and one face up) and the "bring in" a fixed bet sets the player with the highest cards. The game involves the distribution of other four cards, three face up and one face down.

7 Cards Stud Hi
Variant of the game in which the highest hand is the one that wins the whole pot.

Poker Indonesia
Also known as 8-or-better, this is a type of poker game that gives half of the pot to the best hand and half the pot to the worst (A-2-3-4-5).

Razz
Despite its name, it is always a version of 7 Cards Stud which, however, is played with fixed limit for betting.

Make sure you first deposit that the poker room that has been accessing your favorite game modes.

Good Pokerata!

Free Poker Bonus said...

In this section we will explain the rules of Poker Texas Hold'Em Poker that distinguish it from normal. Basic rules and strategies to play and win at online Texas Hold'Em Poker. Please note that in the Poker Room Italian reviewed on this site you can play it safe and legal in Texas Hold'Em Poker. That's why I INVITE you to register and collect the good offered by our Poker Room. In the months from January to February 2010, we will publish a Rich Guide to Texas Poker Game of study where each stage of the game with all the tricks, tips and secrets to play and win at Texas Poker.

Texas Hold'em (also known as Hold'em) in Italy is also identified with the term Texas Poker. Texas Hold'em is by far the most played kind of poker in the United States but is becoming increasingly popular and loved in Italy. The rule says that they can participate up to a maximum of 22 players and to play using the US Players holdem rooms of cards consists of 52 cards without jokers. The difference between Texas Hold'em Poker and the traditional is in the cards dealt. Each player will be dealt only two cards each which could be the point with the 5 common cards (community cards) discovered by the dealer during the different phases of the game. But we analyze in detail the various aspects of the Texas Poker.

Poker said...

At the beginning of a game of Texas Hold'em the dealer shuffles a standard deck of 52 playing cards. In general, the dealer does not participate in the game, but sometimes it is possible that he take part in the game (self-Dealt). In this case the distributor of cards will change at the end of each hand in the clockwise direction. In games where there is a dealer there will be a circular button ("Dealer Button") that moves along the Sendo time from player to player after each hand. Free Poker Money no deposit bonus. The "Dealer Button" has the function to report the dealer in matches to which also takes part or alternatively the position of the poker dealer Stern Kohl (in the past the button was identified with the term "the Buck", a type of knife placed on the table in front of the dealer in order to identify).