Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Show me the Money!

Last night I watched Jerry Maguire for I don't know how many times. This is one of my favorite movies of all-time. Many probably don't include it on their top 10 list but I think it's a classic.

It is hard to classify this movie. It certainly has funny moments. It has once of the best romantic relationships ever to be shown on film, built by some of the best memorable movie lines ever. And there is a lot of drama. It's also a sport's movie. So it's a sport's dramatic romantic comedy?

Of course, you have the big-name movie star. In this case, Maguire is probably Tom Cruise's best performance. Not many actors can pull off a role requiring both comedy and vulnerability. I think this was the role of a lifetime for him and he far exceeded my expecations. He won a Golden Globe for best actor and was nominated for an Academy Award.

Then look at the supporting cast. This was Renee Zellweger's breakout role. Cuba Gooding jr won a best supporting actor award for his hilarious portrayal of the superstar football player with an attitude problem. The movie also featured one of the more memorable "cute" little kids who had some great scenes. After these supporting actors, there was even a really good supporting-supporting cast with Bonnie Hunt, Regina King, and Kelly Preston. Everyone simply nailed their roles which showed what a great job was done with the screenply and casting.

Think of one of your favorite movies and try to remember your favorite lines from that movie. Now think of Jerry Maguire. Several of the lines became embedded in our culture:
Show me the Money!
You complete me.
You had me at hello.
You are my ambassador of quan.

In a previous post, I said one of the things which really makes a movie great is one that inspires or teaches you a lesson about life. This movie is that kind of movie. It ends with the quote, 'I don't know everything and I've had my share of failures, but I love my wife and I love my life, and I wish that kind of success for you."

No comments: